African Vision Research Institute (AVRI) intends to appoint an:
Editor-in-Chief (Optometry) for the journal, African Eye and Vision Health
16 Hours Per Month
The Journal (www.avehjournal.org) is an open-access, interdisciplinary journal that has been published for almost 100 years, albeit with a different name over much of that time. In 2014, it was relaunched under the name of African Vision and Eye Health and as a collaborative journal between Ophthalmology and Optometry. The journal’s primary mandate is to publish original research, reviews, and case studies with an African and international focus. The journal also provides a source for discussion of developments in research and higher education that involve eye and vision science and public health related issues.
There are two Editors-in-Chief (one for optometry and one for ophthalmology) and an Editorial Board consisting of Sub-Editors who together with the two Editors-in-Chief are responsible for managing peer review of submissions in their area/s of speciality. The Editors work with a publishing team consisting of a Managing Editor and an Online Publishing System (namely AOSIS).
This part-time position requires a minimum number of hours (16) per month and candidates can be based in Africa or elsewhere. The commencement of editorship would be between July 2023 to January 2024.
The Editors-in-Chief have overall responsibility for the editorial content of the journal - both scope and quality.
• Function as an ambassador and representative for the journal
• Promote the short- and long-term strategies and aims of the journal
• Maintain editorial and other policies together with the journal publisher
• Coordinate with the publisher to enhance the global reputation of the journal
• Interact with sub-editors and assign and oversee peer review workloads
• Solicit original and review papers and other beneficial content such as case reports and book reviews
• Approve papers and other contributions before publication
• Act as arbiter on disputes, appeals and cases of unethical conduct and conflicts of interest that might involve authors and/or reviewers
• Review reports pertaining to journal performance and metrics
• Call and chair editorial meetings when necessary
• Established optometric researcher and academic with PhD (or equivalent) with a good publication record
• Broad knowledge of the subject field, namely optometry
• Previous editorial experience, specifically in a decision-making capacity
• Enthusiasm and high-motivation
• Good leadership, time management skills and an effective communicator
• Ability to work effectively with diversity in methodologies and views
• Ability to embrace innovative technologies and future changes in scholarly publishing
Please submit the following to Prof. A Rubin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1. A letter of application with personal contact details
- 2. An abridged Curriculum Vitae (CV) [include only the relevant information]
- 3. Contact details of two professional/academic references
Deadline for applications: 30 June 2023
Correspondence will only occur with short-listed candidates.
AVRI is an equal opportunity organisation that promotes diversity.
- For more information, contact Prof. A Rubin or the AVRI Research Manager, Dr Jyoti Naidoo
- at email@example.com